Wednesday 15 April 2015

Q&A with Flavia Cacace - Mistry

Hi all :-)

Following on from my 'Behind the Scenes at Dance 'Til Dawn' visit, Flavia has very kindly answered some questions which are mainly based on her day to day ritual while on tour with the show.


Q : How long does it take you to style your hair and apply your make up for each show? Are the basics done while at the hotel and just added to before the show for a more dramatic look, or do you prefer to create your whole look at the theatre?

A : I tend to get to the theatre at around 5pm and start the process of make up. That way at 6pm I am pretty much  ready and can join the rest of the cast for our pre-show warm up on stage. 
Sometimes other commitments set in which means I only do some of my make up and hair before warm up and then it's a mad scramble to get myself together after the warm up.
Luckily my hair as long as it is washed and has had a quick passing of the straighteners, doesn't take long.


Q : Do you follow a set make up ritual for every show to keep the same look or do you vary producst/eyeshadow/lip colours depending on mood?

A : Mostly I stick to the same as it's quicker to keep to a routine and also I like to take a minimal amount of products with me so there's less to move from theatre to theatre. Occasionally I will try a different lippy but I think once you find what works for you, it's good to stick to it. 


Q : Do you have a favourite dress, and if you could keep one after the tour finished, which would it be?

A : I don't really see the dresses like that. I have some at home that I don't really wear, I think I'm always thinking of the next option or creation.


Q : Are your preferences taken into consideration when deciding on costumes for the show? Do you sit in on the design process or are you happy enough to go with whatever style(s) have been created for you?

A : There's so much choreographing at the beginning of a new show that I like to leave the costume designers to it as I trust they know me well enough. I get to see the designs on paper and that's when I can make changes to things I'm not happy with, but I'm pretty easy going as they always tell me :)


Q : In a scenario where either of the understudies had to replace you or Vincent, would the routines be exactly the same as yours and Vincent's or is there a back up version that has been rehearsed?... e.g would they dance the same AT that you both do or would it be a shortened/simplified version given it isn't their speciality?

A : Pretty much all would be the same with the exception of the final Argentine Tango which would be different. Wouldn't want to kill anyone! 


Q : In the moments in the show where we see the characters 'acting' in the background, are they really having proper scripted chats with each other or is it all just nonsense talk without proper dialogue?

A : There's a lot of chit chat that goes on and most keep in character, and even if they talk about what they had for lunch, it is done in the style of an American gangster. It does make me laugh. 


Q : Any moments where the cast play little tricks/jokes onstage which are too subtle for the audience to notice, but which make you all want to laugh?

A : So many times is all I can say and I'm just glad the audience can't tell.


Q : Do you have to rehearse the show on the first day at every new venue or can you get a 'feel' for the stage just from your warm up?

A : We go in early on the first day at 4.30pm so you can get familiar with the back stage area, and where all the costume changes will happen etc. As you saw it is quite dark back there and you have to be careful where you are stepping.


Q : How do you prepare yourself mentally before a show and how do you unwind afterwards?

A : Getting ready is really my preparation. Listening to calming music is also good. I still get nervous each time so it's about staying calm and assertive. 
After is easy.... food, bath, bed.


Q : How do you pass your time when on tour in the hours when you're not needed at the theatre? Is a lot of it spent in your hotel watching TV/messing around until it's time to go to work like in a normal home/working environment? There's only so much shopping a girl can do I guess(?)

A : I like to sleep as much as I can. I have late nights and I feel I heal during sleep and wake up with a few less aches. To be honest there's always things to do as we do a lot of press interviews every week...emails...phone calls. 
Things like fitting in a massage, physio, nails, hair... they all take time. I also like to walk a lot too and get as much fresh air as possible beforehand. Sometimes we'll have clean up call and cover rehearsals too... Not much time left!!


Q : Finally, what are the best aspects of touring and what are the worst?

A : You get to see lots of beautiful places and sometimes not so beautiful places, most are lovely though. Travelling is good fun but it's hard to be away from home and living out of a suitcase, there's always something you wish you had brought with you..... or sometimes you have way too much of the wrong thing. Tricky to get it right. 


Thanks to Flavia for being so generous with her time and for answering all of my questions. Hopefully I didn't do too badly for a 'rookie interviewer' haha...! :-) 






No comments:

Post a Comment